According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 35,000 people a year are killed in car crashes. Over the past 10 years, car accidents have steadily risen.
A defendant found to be responsible in a wrongful death lawsuit could be required to pay the victim’s medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other punitive damages. Car crash lawyers are specialists in pursuing the best outcome for the victim’s family.
To do this, there are three elements the attorney must prove in court on their client’s behalf:
- The defendant was at fault.
- The client is either the family, spouse, beneficiary, or dependent of the deceased.
- The death will result in significant damage to the client.
The base argument of any wrongful death lawsuit is negligence. Making the case requires car accident lawyers to collect evidence, such as:
- Records of the accident (as soon as possible to ensure no evidence will be lost and witness statements will be preserved).
- Police reports.
- Insurance company records.
In order to prevail in a wrongful death lawsuit, plaintiffs must have experienced attorneys who understand the process and the requirements.