In April 2013, James and Evelyn McCarty decided to convert their home from propane to natural gas. The couple canceled their account with South Jersey Fuel & Propane, but the propane tank was never removed. Shore Guys Heating & Air Conditioning performed the conversion to natural gas, cutting several pipes, but never disconnecting the home from the propane tank. On November 7, 2013, when James McCarty turned on his shower, an explosion destroyed the home.
According to the lawsuit filed Wednesday in Cape May County Superior Court, the couple alleges that the companies acted negligently by failing to remove or disconnect the propane tank in their home, which caused the explosion. Neighbors pulled the couple from the home, and James McCarty suffered severe burns to his legs, while Evelyn McCarty suffered bilateral leg fractures.